Thursday, February 5, 2015

Namaste, or nah?

I've been wearing yoga pants since Victoria's Secret told me they were cool in high school. That being said, I haven't actually stepped on a yoga mat until recently.

My Facebook and Instagram pages are full of photos and articles about yoga, I see women and men contorted into all of these crazy poses and I'm even receiving emails from GroupOn about local yoga studios in my area offering discounts for the not-so-cheap practice. What's all the hype about? My gym offers yoga classes so a few weeks ago I decided to give it a try.

Being in a yoga class can feel a little intimidating, especially as a beginner. There are people of all different shapes and sizes at all different levels in a small dimmed room together trying to follow along with one instructor. It's easy to get lost and distracted by the other students and wonder, "Do I look as goofy as she does? How is she not falling over right now?" Although I enjoyed the class and felt like the practice of yoga could be beneficial, I didn't feel comfortable.

Enter Yoga with Adriene

Even after a confusing experience with yoga, I wasn't completely turned off of the idea. I felt like there was something I missed in the class while I was busy being self conscious. I turned to my trusty friend, Google, to help me further explore. This led me to a popular YouTube channel - Yoga with Adriene. I stumbled upon her 30 day challenge and have been hooked ever since.



I am now on day 10 of the challenge. The first few days were a little rough and I wasn't sure if I was doing it right or if I would even continue. But I stuck with it! It helped so much that I could do it from the comfort of my own living room. I wasn't distracted by other people and I could even pause the video if I felt like I needed to try again or take a break. I'm starting to feel more confident in my movements and beginning to love the practice.

The best part of Yoga with Adriene? IT'S FREE.

I hope that if you've been on the fence about yoga you're encouraged to give it a try. I will post again once I finish the challenge and update you on my final verdict, some photos of the new poses I've learned, and if I will indeed step foot in a group class again.

I'm attaching a few links to Adriene's website and an interview she did for a yoga blog so you can learn a little bit more about her. She really is awesome and has such a sweet spirit. A lot of yoga videos are cheesy but I can assure you that hers are not!

For more on Adriene and her yoga inspiration:
http://yogawithadriene.com
http://www.yogiapproved.com/yoga/get-know-yogi-adriene-mishler/


You know you want to give it a try!


That's what's in my jar.



1 comment:

  1. Love the fact that you posted video. Very informative info and also helpful! I do yoga and I've never heard of Adriene. Will be checking her out!

    ReplyDelete