Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A little spring, a little break

Unfortunately, this year, I won't be taking the traditional spring break trip to the beach with a group of friends. Instead I'll be sleeping in, fighting these crazy Oklahoma sinus problems, getting a head start on school projects and clocking in a few extra hours on my paycheck at work.

I'm not having a pity party at la casa de Mason, but I can't lie... It's hard to see all of your peers going on fun vacations while you sit at home. Let's be real, the only adventure I'm embarking on this week is season 2 of Gilmore Girls. If you're staying home like I am, I've put together a small, silly list of things to do on spring break that don't require a 7 hour road trip.


1. Go get a snocone!
This is a perfect pick-me-up and a great reminder that summer is just around the corner! With so many great snocone stands here in OKC there's bound to be one around you. Try a new flavor or add in some gummy bears. It's spring break man, go crazy.


2. Try that restaurant you've been talking about
A lot of locally owned restaurants are popping up in OKC. Grab a friend or family member and go have breakfast, lunch or dinner at one that you've never been to! SO many of these new restaurants have created such a fun environment that you can guarantee a good time along with great food. Instagram that my friend!


3. Rent a movie! Yes...like at a video rental store
Whether it be your favorite 90's chick-flick, or one of the recent Oscar nominees, going to a video rental store gets you out of the house and will probably stir up some fond memories of the days before Netflix and RedBox. (RIP Blockbuster) If you're of age, why not grab a bottle of wine to enjoy with it?


4. Buy a new pair of sandals or sunglasses
You're not spending 3 months of paychecks on PCB and booze for all of your friends, so why not spoil yourself a little with some fun accessories to add to your spring wardrobe? Target, Marshall's and TJMaxx are a few of my favorite places to find great deals. Plus, with all of your college friends out of town, you'll have free range to buy all of the cute stuff in popular sizes before they get back! No shame in my game.


5. Read a book

These are a few I've read recently. Reading and finishing a book brings about a teeny-tiny sense of accomplishment. If you're looking for a light-hearted, easy read with a touch of love and laughs I would highly suggest Eleanor and Park or The Rosie Project. If you want to laugh so hard that you cry, and you don't mind a little vulgarity, I can promise that Chelsea Handler and Caitlin Moran will have you in stitches. I love reading. With my busy schedule I don't get as much time as I'd like to do it, but spring break frees up a few hours so that I can get lost in a new book.


6. Get active!
Go outside! Take a walk around your neighborhood. Maybe go downtown or to a local park for a more scenic view. Most gyms and specialty studios such as pilates or yoga even offer a free first time guest pass so you can try out a class at no cost. Sunshine and exercise can get your endorphins pumping so you can kick the home-bound spring break blues! When you feel good it's easier to have a positive attitude.


There's no reason why you can't enjoy your spring break from home. So get out there and find a reason to have a good day today!


That's what's in my jar.



No comments:

Post a Comment